- Oldtaku alert: do you remember the ’90s? To be more specific, did you go to an anime convention in the ’90s? Jared wants to hear from you for a project about anime convention history. You can email him here.
- Haruki Murakami’s metaphysics of food. These days I just read Murakami novels to fantasize that I’m in Japan. Same reason I read Parade by Shuichi Yoshida. Atmospheric novels about Tokyo in which nothing much happens are my jam. (HT Zoë).
- The 10 Best Onsen Resort Towns In Japan. Visiting a ryokan was one of my most memorable Japan experiences, and I didn’t even go to one of these.
- Anne of Chic Pixel explains how she edits Instagram photos and nerdy flatlays. I love her Instagram, which shows off her impeccably organized, artfully arranged geek memorabilia.
- I don’t know much about sakuga, the term for especially well-considered movements or even entire scenes in animation. Here’s a post by Josh Dunham about the sakuga of Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid episode 8 that is clear even to beginners like me.
- Why You Should Import Now. Apparently it’s a good time (and good dollar to yen rate) for getting your favorite stuff straight from Japan. Also, read to find out how Trump might make it more costly to import from Japan in the future.
- If you’re curious about this “Gundam” thing I’m always going on about, get on Crunchyroll—they just licensed Gundam Build Fighters, Gundam 00, and Gundam Wing. No, Crunchyroll doesn’t pay me to say stuff like this, but I wouldn’t say no.
Photo via Happy Peng